Beans add extra texture and flavor to this vegetable soup. This soup is light in calories yet packed with flavor. —Bean Education and Awareness Network, Scottsbluff, Nebraska
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) navy or great northern beans, rinsed and drained, divided
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach, optional
- In a Dutch oven, saute the carrots, onions and celery in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in broth, one can of beans, broccoli and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-7 minutes.
- Place remaining beans in a blender; cover and process until smooth. Add to the soup with spinach if desired; simmer for 2 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Originally published as Vegetable Bean Soup in Country Woman January/February 2000, p41
Reviews for Bean Vegetable Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed May. 15, 2011
"good good good"