Bean Spread on Pita Crackers Recipe
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- PITA CRACKERS:
- 4 pita breads (6 inches)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- In a large skillet, saute onion and garlic in oil for 3 minutes or until tender. Add the beans, broth, rosemary, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 20 minutes. Cool slightly. Place half of the mixture in a blender or food processor; cover and process until smooth. Transfer to a bowl. Repeat. Cool to room temperature.
- For crackers, split each pita bread in half horizontally into two rounds; brush with oil. Combine the sesame seeds, onion powder, poppy seeds, thyme and salt; sprinkle over pitas. Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 2 minutes or until lightly browned and crisp. Cool on wire racks. Break into large pieces. Serve with spread. Yield: 3 cups.
Originally published as Bean Spread on Pita Crackers in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2005, p32
Reviews for Bean Spread on Pita Crackers
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jan. 2, 2012
I admit I bought pita crackers to save time for holiday party for which I made many dishes! The only thing I changed about the spread was to increase the minced rosemary to 1 1/2 teaspoon. It was simply outstanding and my guests went back for more.