For extra ease, our Test Kitchen says to bake the pita crackers the night before. Cool and store in an airtight container at room temperature. You can also prepare and chill the spread overnight; remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before serving.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- PITA CRACKERS:
- 4 pita breads (6 inches)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- In a large skillet, saute onion and garlic in oil for 3 minutes or until tender. Add the beans, broth, rosemary, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 20 minutes. Cool slightly. Place half of the mixture in a blender or food processor; cover and process until smooth. Transfer to a bowl. Repeat. Cool to room temperature.
- For crackers, split each pita bread in half horizontally into two rounds; brush with oil. Combine the sesame seeds, onion powder, poppy seeds, thyme and salt; sprinkle over pitas. Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 2 minutes or until lightly browned and crisp. Cool on wire racks. Break into large pieces. Serve with spread. Yield: 3 cups.
Originally published as Bean Spread on Pita Crackers in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2005, p32
Reviews for Bean Spread on Pita Crackers
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review