Bean Soup with Sausage Recipe
- 8 ounces bulk lean turkey breakfast sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cubed
- 4 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon each garlic salt, seasoned salt and pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- In a large saucepan, cook sausage, onion and green pepper over medium heat 4-6 minutes or until vegetables are tender and sausage is no longer pink, breaking up sausage into crumbles; drain.
- Stir in beans, potato, water and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10-15 minutes or until potato is tender. Stir in tomatoes and heat through. Remove bay leaf. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Bean Soup with Sausage
Sort By :
Needing more flavor, I added onion & garlic powder plus marjoram. I used beef broth instead of water & an immersion blender for the diced tomatoes as DH fussy about tomato pieces. He didn't complain, so it must taste okay. Being a vegetarian I can't eat it.
This is an easy soup to put together. I was not thrilled with the turkey sausage and might try another brand or switch to pork sausage. I thought it was heavy on the kidney beans so I might switch a kidney bean for a navy bean. All in all, an easy soup without a lot of strange ingredients that make a trip to the store necessary.
Good. I added mushrooms in, and used a pork sausage because that's what I had. I thought it was good; and my mother-in-law loved it.
This is a basic soup that was easy to make. I think it needs more flavor. I'd add more vegetables (maybe carrots, spinach, green beans) and more seasonings/herbs.
I love recipes like this. Fresh ingredients along with simple, easy canned goods as well. This recipe was easy to put together. I ended up adding the potatoes at the beginning and browning them up. Then when the meat was done, I through the rest of the ingredients together so the flavors would meld. Would make this again.