Bean Soup with Sausage Recipe
- 8 ounces bulk lean turkey breakfast sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cubed
- 4 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon each garlic salt, seasoned salt and pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1. In a large saucepan, cook sausage, onion and green pepper over medium heat 4-6 minutes or until vegetables are tender and sausage is no longer pink, breaking up sausage into crumbles; drain.
- 2. Stir in beans, potato, water and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10-15 minutes or until potato is tender. Stir in tomatoes and heat through. Remove bay leaf. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
1 cup equals 160 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 24 mg cholesterol, 645 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 13 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable.