Field editor Jane Mullins of Livonia, Missouri often lets her slow cooker simmer this nicely spiced, bean-filled broth while she's busy or running errands.
- 3 cups water
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Mexican stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 3 beef bouillon cubes
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Dash each salt and pepper
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine the first 13 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until vegetables are tender.
- For dumplings, combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and pepper. Combine egg white, milk and oil; stir into dry ingredients. Drop into eight mounds onto boiling soup. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes (do not lift the cover). Yield: 8 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
Originally published as Bean Soup with Dumplings in Taste of Home February/March 1996, p45
Reviews for Bean Soup with Dumplings
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review