"I created my own, easy-to-prepare bean soup based on one we liked at a local Mexican restaurant," writes Shannon Kohn of Simpsonville, South Carolina. "I added dumplings to make it more of a complete meal."
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup fresh baby carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup chunky salsa
- 1/3 cup self-rising flour
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, saute onion and carrots until tender. Stir in the beans, broth and salsa. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 3-5 minutes or until reduced slightly.
- For dumplings, in a small bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal and salt. Stir in milk and cheese just until moistened. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto simmering soup.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center of a dumpling comes out clean (do not lift cover while simmering). Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Bean Soup with Cheddar Cornmeal Dumplings in Cooking for 2 Fall 2008, p55
Reviews for Bean Soup with Cheddar Cornmeal Dumplings
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review