- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup fresh baby carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup chunky salsa
- 1/3 cup self-rising flour
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, saute onion and carrots until tender. Stir in the beans, broth and salsa. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 3-5 minutes or until reduced slightly.
- For dumplings, in a small bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal and salt. Stir in milk and cheese just until moistened. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto simmering soup.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center of a dumpling comes out clean (do not lift cover while simmering). Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Bean Soup with Cheddar Cornmeal Dumplings in Cooking for 2 Fall 2008, p55
Reviews for Bean Soup with Cheddar Cornmeal Dumplings
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 22, 2008
"Excellent recipe, made with ingredients on-hand, came together quickly, inexpensive, and high fiber. For the salsa, I used a chipolte salsa which added lots of"kick"."
Reviewed Sep. 16, 2008
"I added a bit of cumin just to add a bit of flavor."