Bean Soup with Cheddar Cornmeal Dumplings Recipe
"I created my own, easy-to-prepare bean soup based on one we liked at a local Mexican restaurant," writes Shannon Kohn of Simpsonville, South Carolina. "I added dumplings to make it more of a complete meal."
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup fresh baby carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup chunky salsa
- 1/3 cup King Arthur Unbleached Self-Rising Flour
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, saute onion and carrots until tender. Stir in the beans, broth and salsa. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 3-5 minutes or until reduced slightly.
- For dumplings, in a small bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal and salt. Stir in milk and cheese just until moistened. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto simmering soup.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center of a dumpling comes out clean (do not lift cover while simmering). Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Bean Soup with Cheddar Cornmeal Dumplings in Cooking for 2 Fall 2008, p55
Reviews for Bean Soup with Cheddar Cornmeal Dumplings(2)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Nov. 22, 2008
Excellent recipe, made with ingredients on-hand, came together quickly, inexpensive, and high fiber. For the salsa, I used a chipolte salsa which added lots of"kick".
Reviewed Sep. 16, 2008
I added a bit of cumin just to add a bit of flavor.
More Recipe Collections
- Bean Soup Recipes >
- Broth Soup Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Cooking For Two >
- Cooking For Two Magazine >
- Cooking For Two Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Soup Recipes >
- Mexican Recipes >
- Mexican Soup >