Bean Soup Mix Recipe
An attractive bag of this savory mix makes a tasteful gift for a teacher or co-worker— remember to attach the soup recipe with a decorative ribbon or cord.
- BEAN MIX:
- 1 cup each dried yellow split peas, green split peas, lentils, medium pearl barley, black-eyed peas, small lima beans, navy beans, great northern beans and pinto beans
- 6 cups water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 pound smoked sausage
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1. In a large bowl, combine bean mix ingredients. Divide into six batches, 1-1/2 cups each. Store in airtight containers in a cool dry place for up to 1 year. Yield: 9 cups of mix (six batches of soup-each batch makes 2-1/2 quarts and serves 8-10).
- 2. To make one batch of soup: Place 1-1/2 cups bean mix in a Dutch oven; cover with water by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; let stand for 1 hour. Drain, discarding liquid. Return beans to kettle; add water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until beans are tender.
- 3. Add the onion, carrot, chili powder, salt, pepper and cloves. Return to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Add sausage, tomatoes and lemon juice; simmer 15-20 minutes longer. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 196 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 664 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 10 g protein.
Reviews for Bean Soup Mix
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC