I made this colorful, robust stew often when our three kids were living at home. Since it calls for lots of canned vegetables, it stirs up in a jiffy. It's versatile, too-you can substitute cubed turkey, chicken, ham or beef for the sausage. Plus, you can replace the beans with other vegetables of your choice.
Featured In: 51 Cozy Slow Cooker Soups
- 1 pound smoked sausage, halved and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 cans (10 ounces each) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) lima beans, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine the first eight ingredients. Heat through. Serve with rice if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings (2 quarts).
Originally published as Sausage Bean Stew in Quick Cooking September/October 1998, p31
Reviews for Bean Sausage Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 29, 2015
"thought this was a very good recipe cooked it up today for relatives they loved it!"
Reviewed Feb. 27, 2015
"This was ok. Not really a soup though."
Reviewed Mar. 26, 2014