Bean Counter Chowder Recipe
Wonderfully seasoned Bean Counter Chowder is suggested by Vivian Haen of Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin.
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken or vegetable broth
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon each dried basil, oregano and celery flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender; Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the tomato; simmer for 5 minutes. Add the broth, water and seasonings. Bring to a boil; cook for 5 minutes. Add beans and macaroni; return to a boil.
- 2. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until macaroni is tender. Sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 105 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 334 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC