Wonderfully seasoned Bean Counter Chowder is suggested by Vivian Haen of Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin.
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken or vegetable broth
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon each dried basil, oregano and celery flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender; Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the tomato; simmer for 5 minutes. Add the broth, water and seasonings. Bring to a boil; cook for 5 minutes. Add beans and macaroni; return to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until macaroni is tender. Sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Originally published as Bean Counter Chowder in Taste of Home October/November 2001, p13
Reviews for Bean Counter Chowder
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review