- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken or vegetable broth
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon each dried basil, oregano and celery flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender; Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the tomato; simmer for 5 minutes. Add the broth, water and seasonings. Bring to a boil; cook for 5 minutes. Add beans and macaroni; return to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until macaroni is tender. Sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews for Bean Counter Chowder
"This is a simple recipe and easy to make. I suggest adding more onion and tomato. I probably won't make it again."
"Great recipe! Pottsy was concerned about flavor - cook your own beans with ham hock, drain and use them as you would the canned ones."
"The recipe was very simple to make and was very tasty. I made double the liquid because there wasn't enough for my liking and I know this was healthy but I added 1/4 cup of real bacon bits for my husband."
"This was really good but does need just a bit more something in the line of flavor. I will definitely make it again and will experiment with different options. My daughter and grand-daughter liked it also. My 18 month old grand-daughter liked picking the beans out and eating them by themselves."
"Hubby and I thought this was very good. The only thing I changed was to add 1 stalk of chopped celery in place of the celery flakes. It added a little crunch. This will be made again."