Bean Cabbage Soup Recipe
- 2 tablespoons chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon olive or 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/3 cup cubed zucchini
- 1/3 cup cubed peeled potato
- 1/3 cup sliced carrot
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1/2 cup canned cannellini beans or white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- Dash pepper
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped cabbage
- 1/4 cup cooked rice
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a saucepan, saute celery and onion in oil for 2-3 minutes. Add garlic and saute for 1 minute. Add the zucchini, potato and carrot; saute for 3 minutes. Stir in the beef broth, beans, basil and pepper. Bring to a boil. Stir in cabbage.
- 2. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Just before serving, stir in rice and cheese. Yield: 2 servings.
One serving (1-1/2-cup) equals 162 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 6 mg cholesterol, 566 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 7 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 starch.