Bean and Vegetable Salad
"This medley of beans won the enthusiastic approval of my husband, who says he'll eat low-fat, low-cholesterol food only if ti tastes really good," relates Bonnie McKinsey from Greenville, South Carolina. "The peas and corn add crunch and color."
10 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, drained
- 1-1/2 cups frozen peas
- 1-1/2 cups frozen corn
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. In a small
- bowl, combine the vinegar, oil, garlic, salt and pepper until
- blended. Pour over bean mixture; toss gently to coat. Cover and
- refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Yield: 10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (3/4 cup) equals 176 calories, 4 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 358 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 7 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.