Bean and Pasta Soup Recipe
- 1 cup uncooked small pasta
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1-1/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups shredded fresh spinach
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick saucepan, saute the celery, carrots and onion in oil for 5 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the water, tomatoes, broth, basil, rosemary, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until carrots are tender.
- 2. Drain pasta; stir into vegetable mixture. Add the beans; heat through. Stir in spinach; cook until spinach is wilted, about 2 minutes. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese if desired. Yield: 5 servings.
1-1/2 cups equals 218 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 588 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 9 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat.