When I make meat loaf, I usually just mix together whatever I have on hand. One time I added leftover kidney beans I had in the fridge, and my family loved the meat loaf's soft texture. Now it's our favorite. —Patricia Zwerk of Tucson, Arizona
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 cups ketchup, divided
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed, drained and mashed
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt-free lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 2-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 cup water
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, 1 cup ketchup, beans, bread crumbs, onion, celery, Worcestershire sauce, lemon-pepper and seasoned salt; crumble beef over mixture and mix well.
- Shape into two loaves. Place in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- In a bowl, combine water and remaining ketchup; pour over meat loaves. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 70 minutes or until meat is no longer pink and a meat thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Deluxe Meat Loaf in Light & Tasty December/January 2002, p27
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Bean and Meat Loaf
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review