Bean and Bacon Soup
This soup has been on our menu for about 25 years. Customers tell us they love its flavor. A clear chicken broth makes it different from other bean soups.Robert Doumas, Gaylord, Michigan
8-10 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + standing Cook: 1 hour 20 min.
- 1 pound dried navy beans
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- Place beans in a Dutch oven or soup kettle; add water to cover by 2
- in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover
- and let stand for 1 hour. Drain and rinse beans; discard liquid.
- In a large saucepan, combine the broth, beans, parsley, bay leaves
- and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1
- hour. Add the onion, carrot and celery. Cover and simmer for 20-25
- minutes or until vegetables and beans are tender. Stir in bacon.
- Discard the bay leaves before serving. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 196 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 818 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 12 g fiber, 13 g protein.