Bean 'n' Rice Picnic Salad Recipe
This filling salad was a favorite for luncheons with Ruth Andrewson from Leavenworth, Washington. Orange carrots and green celery also lend colorful crunch to the sweet-and-sour blend of flavors and mild dill dressing.
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 celery rib with leaves, chopped
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 lettuce leaves
- 1. Prepare rice according to package directions. Transfer to a large bowl; cool to room temperature. Stir in the beans, carrot, celery and onions.
- 2. In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the vinegar, oil, sugar, dill and pepper; shake well. Pour over rice mixture; toss to coat. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Serve on lettuce leaves. Yield: 8 servings.
3/4 cup: 177 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 100mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 0 fat.
Reviews for Bean 'n' Rice Picnic Salad
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC