Bean 'n' Burger Pockets Recipe
This recipe started out as an alternative to baked beans—just for a change of taste. One day I decided to add ground beef an other ingredients, and not it's a main dish we enjoy often. —Gwen Parsons, Boring, Oregon
- 1-1/4 pounds ground beef
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon each dried thyme, savory, marjoram, oregano and parsley flakes
- 1 can (8-3/4 ounces) navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (8-3/4 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (8-3/4 ounces) lima beans, rinsed and drained
- 5 pita breads, halved
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- 1. In a heavy saucepan or Dutch oven, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
- 2. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, onion, garlic, brown sugar and seasonings. Cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- 3. Stir in beans; heat through. Spoon about 1/2 cup into each pita half. Top with cheese if desired. Yield: 5 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 534 calories, 15 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 75 mg cholesterol, 1,301 mg sodium, 62 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 37 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC