Bean & Bulgur Chili Recipe
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14 ounces) vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1 cup bulgur
- Reduced-fat sour cream, optional
- 1. In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook the onions, celery and green pepper in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in carrot and seasonings; cook and stir 1 minute longer.
- 2. Stir in the tomatoes, beans, broth and tomato paste. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, cook bulgur according to package directions. Stir into chili; heat through. Garnish each serving with sour cream if desired. Yield: 10 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
1-1/3 cups (calculated without sour cream) equals 240 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 578 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 12 g fiber, 11 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 lean meat.