- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14 ounces) vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1 cup bulgur
- Reduced-fat sour cream, optional
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook the onions, celery and green pepper in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in carrot and seasonings; cook and stir 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the tomatoes, beans, broth and tomato paste. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook bulgur according to package directions. Stir into chili; heat through. Garnish each serving with sour cream if desired. Yield: 10 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Bean & Bulgur Chili
"I made this for a weeknight dinner and it was a great standard recipe for vegetarian chili - I omitted bulgur (but will try next time) and just served over elbow mac. Delish!"
"Great chili. No cinnamon or allspice. Just add the bulgur to the chili. No need to cook it seperate. Give it a little more broth to compensate what the bulgur will soak up."
"Fantastic! The bulgur, once cooked, adds a surprising nutty taste and a pleasing texture to the chili. For my second batch, I used mildly hot peppers and the result was equally delicious. I actually made a triple batch and canned some for the winter (freezing would work just as well). Absolutely worth the time!"
"Absolutely will make again! The flavor and texture of this chili beats any chili that I've tasted. Plus, it's so healthy for you. I did add some cumin. Even my husband liked it (which is hard to find something new that he likes)."
"I absolutely loved this chili recipe. Made it last night -- easy -- followed it exactly - didn't even have to adjust any seasonings -- each of my family members had more than one serving. Great Recipe."