This chili may be loaded, but we love to build it up even more with toppings like pico de gallo, red onion, cilantro and cheese. —Mallory Lynch, Madison, Wisconsin
Featured In: 38 Ultimate Chili Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Optional toppings: sour cream, chopped red onion and minced fresh cilantro
- In a large skillet, cook beef, onion and garlic over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until beef is no longer pink, breaking up beef into crumbles; drain.
- Transfer beef mixture to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Drain one can of tomatoes, discarding liquid; add to slow cooker. Stir in beans, chili powder, cumin, salt and remaining tomatoes. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours to allow flavors to blend.
- Mash beans to desired consistency. Serve with toppings as desired.
- Freeze option: Freeze cooled chili in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Yield: 6 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
Originally published as Bean & Beef Slow-Cooked Chili in Simple & Delicious February/March 2015
Reviews forBean & Beef Slow-Cooked Chili
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review