- 3/4 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (11 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 large sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Prepare barley according to package directions. Transfer to a large bowl; stir in the beans, corn, red pepper, onions and cilantro.
- In a small bowl, whisk the dressing ingredients. Pour over salad; toss to coat. Chill until serving. Yield: 12 servings (3/4 cup each).
Reviews forBean & Barley Salad
"Yum! I made this when it was first published and my husband and I loved it. Packs well for hiking and picnics. Served at a summer BBQ last year and got lots of rave reviews from everyone. I agree with another review, it lasts for days in the fridge. Can be eaten as a meal or side and goes GREAT with tortilla chips! All around winner!!!!"
"I was looking for something vegan, that had good flavor and a good protein source and this fit the bill!! We don't really like the kidney beans, so we increased the amount of black beans and corn, and it was perfect for us. Will definitely make this again"
"I don't know why it took me so long to make this recipe, but I'm glad that I finally did. It was super easy and my family really enjoyed it. I substituted pinto beans for black beans (it's what I had on hand) and it was very yummy. We had it as a side dish, but it would be very good as a chip topper/dip like other reviewers suggested. Will try that next time!!!"
"This is the BEST.. so full of flavor.. last for days in fridge.. soooo good"
"So yummy, and healthy, too!"
"Flavor was fine, but just average. Too hearty to be served as a side to meat, but not a good stand-alone dish. Better as a topping for nachos, but then why include barley? Not enticing enough to be able to eat the mountain of leftovers. Finally threw half of it away after picking at it for a week and we're a family of 7!"
"Delicious! I used fresh corn and think next time I'll add avocado and cucumber. I changed the dressing to 1/2 cup olive oil, 1 tsp chili pepper, and added 2 Tbsp honey. This recipe is a keeper."
"This recipe is by far a hit whenever I make it. Not only do we eat it as a luncheon type salad, but I also use it mostly as an appetizer and serve it with the scooped bowl type tortilla chips."