Bean & Barley Salad Recipe
"This hearty salad lasts for days in the fridge - perfect for leftovers. We like to spoon it onto pita chips. It's wonderful!" Janelle Lee, Appleton, WI
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (11 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 large sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Prepare barley according to package directions. Transfer to a large bowl; stir in the beans, corn, red pepper, onions and cilantro.
- 2. In a small bowl, whisk the dressing ingredients. Pour over salad; toss to coat. Chill until serving. Yield: 12 servings (3/4 cup each).
3/4 cup equals 246 calories, 14 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 350 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC