Beach Blanket Sugar Cookies Recipe
A hint of pumpkin pie spice in the homemade dough gives a mild taste twist to these crunchy sugar cookies. Canned frosting tinted with food coloring decorates the beach towel treats. (And don't forget to place one or two on the sandy area of the Seaside Gelatin Salad for a finishing touch.)
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min. YIELD:12 servings
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 can (16 ounces) vanilla frosting
- Gel or liquid food coloring
- 1. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Combine the flour, baking powder and pumpkin pie spice; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- 2. Divide dough in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into a 15-in. x 8-in. rectangle. Cut in half lengthwise; cut widthwise into thirds, forming six strips. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bend slightly if desired to form curves in cookies.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 10-13 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Tint frosting with food coloring; decorate cookies as desired. Yield: 1 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 175 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 19 mg cholesterol, 97 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC