A hint of pumpkin pie spice in the homemade dough gives a mild taste twist to these crunchy sugar cookies. Canned frosting tinted with food coloring decorates the beach towel treats. (And don't forget to place one or two on the sandy area of the Seaside Gelatin Salad for a finishing touch.)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 can (16 ounces) vanilla frosting
- Gel or liquid food coloring
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Combine the flour, baking powder and pumpkin pie spice; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Divide dough in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into a 15-in. x 8-in. rectangle. Cut in half lengthwise; cut widthwise into thirds, forming six strips. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bend slightly if desired to form curves in cookies.
- Bake at 350° for 10-13 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Tint frosting with food coloring; decorate cookies as desired. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as Beach Blanket Sugar Cookies in Quick Cooking July/August 2003, p61
Reviews for Beach Blanket Sugar Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review