- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- Optional toppings: tomato slices, lettuce leaves and additional barbecue sauce
- In a small skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add sliced onion; cook and stir 4-6 minutes or until tender.
- In a large bowl, combine beef, chopped onion, barbecue sauce, garlic, onion powder, salt and pepper, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Shape into four 1/2-in.-thick patties.
- Grill burgers, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat 4-6 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 160°. Serve on buns with cooked onions and, if desired, optional toppings. Yield: 4 servings.
This recipe pairs well with a full-bodied red wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Mike Ditka "The Coach" Cabernet Sauvignon CA 2011, a full-bodied, big bold cab with all of the dark fruit notes and structure that a great cab needs. Buy now and get 6 bottles, plus free shipping. Order Now
Reviews for BBQ Yumburgers
Sort By :
Knowing that most ground beef needs an egg in the mix to hold it together, I added that to the bowl first, and mixed in the other ingredients, along with a small handful of breadcrumbs... so they did not fall apart while cooking. The flavor of this burger depends entirely on what kind of barbecue sauce you use, so select one that you know you will like. As a volunteer field editor, I recommend this recipe for its simplicity, and good taste.
Very good taste, but the meat didn't hold together very well.