If you top these with extra barbecue sauce, you get both onions and sauce inside and out of these burgers. My husband loves them with cheese, too. —Donna Hoye, Whitmore Lake, Michigan
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- Optional toppings: tomato slices, lettuce leaves and additional barbecue sauce
- In a small skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add sliced onion; cook and stir 4-6 minutes or until tender.
- In a large bowl, combine beef, chopped onion, barbecue sauce, garlic, onion powder, salt and pepper, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Shape into four 1/2-in.-thick patties.
Grill burgers, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat 4-6 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 160°. Serve on buns with cooked onions and, if desired, optional toppings.
Freeze option: Place patties on a plastic wrap-lined baking sheet; wrap and freeze until firm. Remove from pan and transfer to a resealable plastic freezer bag; return to freezer. To use, prepare sliced onions. Grill frozen patties as directed, increasing time as necessary for a thermometer to read 160°. Serve on buns with toppings. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as BBQ Yumburgers in Simple & Delicious June/July 2014
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for BBQ Yumburgers
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review