With four small children at home, I need quick yet filling meals. These fast family-favorite sandwiches and are a cinch to make. For a spicier taste, eliminate the ketchup and increase the amount of salsa to 1 cup. —Leticia Lewis, Kennewick, Washington
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 6 hamburger buns, split and toasted
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion, celery and garlic in butter until tender. Stir in the salsa, ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, salt and pepper.
Stir in chicken. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Serve about 1/3 cup chicken mixture on each bun.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled meat mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Serve in buns. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as BBQ Chicken Sandwiches in Quick Cooking July/August 2002, p35
Enjoy this recipe with a blush wine such as White Zinfandel or a Rosé.
Reviews for BBQ Chicken Sandwiches
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review