BBQ Chicken Pizzas Recipe
This is so much fun to do with company on a summer night. Each person can adjust the ingredients as they see fit. The dough is easy to work with and grilling it gives the crust deliciously different flavor.—Cara Langer, Overland Park, Kansas
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/4 to 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded smoked Gouda cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Asiago cheese
- 1/2 cup pickled pepper rings
- Minced fresh basil leaves, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the whole wheat flour, oil, honey, salt and 1-1/2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. On a lightly floured surface, divide dough into four portions. Roll each into a 10-in. circle; build up edges slightly. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- 4. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute chicken and onion in 1 tablespoon oil until chicken is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in barbecue sauce; heat through. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- 5. Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, lightly coat the grill rack. Brush both sides of dough with remaining oil. Grill dough, covered, over medium heat for 1-2 minutes or until the crust is lightly browned. Remove from the grill.
- 6. Layer the grilled side of each pizza with the chicken mixture, cheeses and pepper rings. Return pizzas to grill.
- 7. Cover and cook for 4-5 minutes or until crust is lightly browned and cheese is melted, rotating pizzas halfway through cooking to ensure an evenly browned crust. Sprinkle with basil if desired. Yield: 4 individual pizzas.
1 pizza: 920 calories, 44g fat (18g saturated fat), 136mg cholesterol, 1741mg sodium, 80g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 5g fiber), 50g protein.
Reviews for BBQ Chicken Pizzas
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC