BBQ Chicken Pizzas Recipe
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/4 to 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded smoked Gouda cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Asiago cheese
- 1/2 cup pickled pepper rings
- Minced fresh basil leaves, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the whole wheat flour, oil, honey, salt and 1-1/2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. On a lightly floured surface, divide dough into four portions. Roll each into a 10-in. circle; build up edges slightly. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- 4. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute chicken and onion in 1 tablespoon oil until chicken is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in barbecue sauce; heat through. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- 5. Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, lightly coat the grill rack. Brush both sides of dough with remaining oil. Grill dough, covered, over medium heat for 1-2 minutes or until the crust is lightly browned. Remove from the grill.
- 6. Layer the grilled side of each pizza with the chicken mixture, cheeses and pepper rings. Return pizzas to grill.
- 7. Cover and cook for 4-5 minutes or until crust is lightly browned and cheese is melted, rotating pizzas halfway through cooking to ensure an evenly browned crust. Sprinkle with basil if desired. Yield: 4 individual pizzas.
1 pizza: 920 calories, 44g fat (18g saturated fat), 136mg cholesterol, 1741mg sodium, 80g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 5g fiber), 50g protein .
Reviews for BBQ Chicken Pizzas
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.