My party-ready barbecue recipe works great on weeknights, too. With just a few minutes of prep time, you still get that low-and-slow flavor everybody craves (thanks, slow cooker!). Throw in minced jalapenos for extra oomph. —Kimberly Young, Mesquite, Texas
Recommended: 52 Date Night Dinners
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large sweet red pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed
- 4 chicken drumsticks, skin removed
- 1 package (12 ounces) smoked sausage links, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- Sliced seeded jalapeno pepper, optional
- Place first five ingredients in a 4 or 5-qt. slow cooker; top with barbecue sauce. Cook, covered, on low until chicken is tender and a thermometer inserted in chicken reads at least 170°-175°, 4-5 hours.
- Remove chicken, sausage and vegetables from slow cooker; keep warm. Transfer cooking juices to a saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until thickened, 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve chicken, sausage and vegetables with sauce. If desired, top with jalapeno. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as BBQ Chicken & Smoked Sausage in Simple & Delicious June/July 2017
Enjoy this recipe with a blush wine such as White Zinfandel or a Rosé.
Reviews for BBQ Chicken & Smoked Sausage
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review