Our church women’s group assembles this soup mix to give to visitors and to sell at our annual bazaar. Each container is labeled with the directions to make it and additional ingredients needed.—Pearl Brock, Coudersport, PA
- 1/4 cup dried lentils, sorted
- 1/4 cup dried green split peas, sorted
- 1/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 tablespoons medium pearl barley
- 4 teaspoons beef or chicken bouillon granules
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 3 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 cup uncooked small pasta shells
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 8 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- In a 1-pint jar or container with a tight-fitting lid, layer the first nine ingredients in the order listed. Wrap pasta in a small piece of plastic wrap; add to jar. Seal tightly. Store in a cool dry place for up to 3 months. Yield: 1 batch (1-1/2 cups).
- To prepare soup: Remove pasta from top of jar and set aside. In a Dutch oven, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the water, tomatoes and soup mix; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Stir in reserved pasta; cover and simmer 15-20 minutes longer or until pasta, lentils, peas and barley are tender. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Originally published as Bazaar Soup Mix in Country Woman December/January 2010, p41
Reviews for Bazaar Soup Mix
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review