Bayou Shrimp Rice Skillet
After I found this recipe in a cookbook, I fiddled with it to better suit my family. Now my husband and son love the ham and shrimp combination.
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup uncooked instant rice
- 1/4 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- In a skillet, saute the onion, green pepper and garlic in butter
- until crisp-tender. Stir in the water, ham, tomato sauce, vinegar
- and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3
- minutes. Add the rice; cover and cook for 5 minutes. Add the shrimp;
- cook 3-5 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink and rice is
- cooked. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One 1 cup serving equals 320 calories, 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 112 mg cholesterol, 916 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 23 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 vegetable.