After I found this recipe in a cookbook, I fiddled with it to better suit my family. Now my husband and son love the ham and shrimp combination.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup uncooked instant rice
- 1/4 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- In a skillet, saute the onion, green pepper and garlic in butter until crisp-tender. Stir in the water, ham, tomato sauce, vinegar and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3 minutes. Add the rice; cover and cook for 5 minutes. Add the shrimp; cook 3-5 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink and rice is cooked. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Bayou Shrimp Rice Skillet in Cooking for One or Two Cookbook 2003, p208
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Bayou Shrimp Rice Skillet
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review