My husband and I worked on this recipe together. We make a big pot and freeze it to enjoy all winter long. We sometimes stir in sauteed shrimp for a delicious addition to this stew.
- 1 pound smoked sausage, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 8 green onions, sliced
- 1 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen sliced okra
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Louisiana-style hot sauce
- Hot cooked rice
- In a Dutch oven, saute the first five ingredients in oil until the vegetables are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add wine, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan.
- Stir in the tomatoes, okra, tomato sauce, soy sauce and hot sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 4-5 minutes or until okra is tender. Serve with rice.
- Freeze option: Freeze cooled stew in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Microwave, covered, on high in a microwave-safe dish until heated through, gently stirring and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Serve with rice. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Bayou Sausage Stew in The Best of Country Cooking Annual 2016, p92
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Bayou Okra Sausage Stew
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review