Bayou Gulf Shrimp Gumbo Recipe
- 1/2 pound bacon strips, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bottles (8 ounces each) clam juice
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 2 pounds uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2-1/2 cups frozen sliced okra, thawed
- Hot cooked rice
- 1. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. Saute the celery, onion, green pepper and garlic in drippings until tender.
- 2. Transfer to a 4-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the bacon, clam juice, tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, salt and marjoram. Cover and cook on low for 4 hours.
- 3. Stir in shrimp and okra. Cover and cook 1 hour longer or until shrimp turn pink and okra is heated through. Serve with rice. Yield: 6 servings.
1-1/2 cups (calculated without rice): 285 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 204mg cholesterol, 1074mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 32g protein.
Reviews for Bayou Gulf Shrimp Gumbo
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.