Bayou Chicken Recipe
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 3 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) black-eyed peas, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon herbes de Provence
- 1/2 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt, pepper and paprika. Add chicken, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. In a large skillet, brown chicken in butter and oil on all sides. Remove and set aside.
- 2. In the same skillet, saute mushrooms and onion until onion is crisp-tender, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Stir in the peas, garlic salt and herbes de Provence. Transfer to an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- 3. Arrange chicken over pea mixture. Pour wine over chicken; sprinkle with tomato. Cover and bake at 325° for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until chicken juices run clear. Yield: 6 servings.
1 each: 417 calories, 23g fat (7g saturated fat), 98mg cholesterol, 612mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 3g fiber), 33g protein
Reviews for Bayou Chicken
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.