- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 3 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) black-eyed peas, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon herbes de Provence
- 1/2 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt, pepper and paprika. Add chicken, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. In a large skillet, brown chicken in butter and oil on all sides. Remove and set aside.
- In the same skillet, saute mushrooms and onion until onion is crisp-tender, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Stir in the peas, garlic salt and herbes de Provence. Transfer to an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- Arrange chicken over pea mixture. Pour wine over chicken; sprinkle with tomato. Cover and bake at 325° for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until chicken juices run clear. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Bayou Chicken in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2007, p196
This recipe pairs well with a full-bodied white wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Rutherford Hill Chardonnay 2012 Napa Valley, a full-bodied classic California Chardonnay with the perfect touch of oak. Buy now and get 6 bottles for $99.99. Order Now
Reviews for Bayou Chicken
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review