Bavarian Stew Recipe
- 3/4 pound beef stew meat, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1-1/4 cups beef broth
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced onion
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 medium head red cabbage, cut into 2 wedges
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup crushed gingersnap cookies (about 8 cookies)
- In a large saucepan, cook beef in oil until browned; drain. Stir in the broth, onion, bay leaf, caraway seeds and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/4 hours or until meat is almost tender.
- Combine vinegar and sugar; stir into beef mixture. Place cabbage on top of meat mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 18-22 minutes or until meat and cabbage are tender.
- Remove beef and cabbage; keep warm. Discard bay leaf. Stir gingersnaps into cooking liquid; cook and stir until thickened. Stir in beef. Serve with cabbage. Yield: 2 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Bavarian Stew
Sort By :
"I made this for my husband, he said it was so much better than the restaurant!!! He could have eaten 10 times what I made in one sitting!! I loved it too!"
"This was very good. I'll probably be lazy next time and add shredded cabbage instead of messing with cabbage wedges-the wedges fell apart on me."
"I needed to add WAY more cooking liquid than indicated. Almost double. It was tasty & tender, but you definitely need to keep a close eye on the liquid level while cooking."