Bavarian Potato Soup Recipe
My husband and I first enjoyed this soup on a tour of Bavaria. When I asked for the recipe, it was delivered to our table, written in English—but with no amounts for any of the ingredients! After a few trials, I got it "right" and forwarded the recipe to several of the people that were in our tour group.
- 1/2 pound bacon, diced
- 2-1/2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 large carrots, finely chopped
- 3 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 4 leeks, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Chopped fresh parsley, optional
- 1. In a Dutch oven or large saucepan, fry bacon; drain all but 2 tablespoons drippings. Add vegetables, seasonings and enough water to cover (about 4 cups). Simmer, covered for 2 hours. Garnish with parsley if desired. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 217 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 1,528 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 14 g protein.
Reviews for Bavarian Potato Soup
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC