My husband and I first enjoyed this soup on a tour of Bavaria. When I asked for the recipe, it was delivered to our table, written in English—but with no amounts for any of the ingredients! After a few trials, I got it "right" and forwarded the recipe to several of the people that were in our tour group.
- 1/2 pound Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon, diced
- 2-1/2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 large carrots, finely chopped
- 3 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 4 leeks, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Chopped fresh parsley, optional
- In a Dutch oven or large saucepan, fry bacon; drain all but 2 tablespoons drippings. Add vegetables, seasonings and enough water to cover (about 4 cups). Simmer, covered for 2 hours. Garnish with parsley if desired. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Originally published as Bavarian Potato Soup in Bountiful Harvest Cookbook 1994, p47
Reviews for Bavarian Potato Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review