- 1 boneless beef chuck pot roast (about 3 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 3/4 cup beer or beef broth
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Cornstarch and water, optional
- Hot cooked noodles
- In a Dutch oven, brown roast in hot oil. Combine water, beer or broth, tomato sauce, onion, sugar, vinegar, salt, cinnamon, bay leaf, pepper and ginger. Pour over meat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until meat is tender, for 2-1/2 to 3 hours.
- Remove meat. Discard bay leaf. If desired, thicken juices with cornstarch and water. Serve with noodles. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Bavarian Pot Roast
Sort By :
"Delicious, will be making again!"
"Absolute family favorite, requested for birthday dinners."
"We loved this!! A nice change from the normal pot roast. I really liked the cinnamon in it. I made it in the slow cooker & it came out great!"
"Family loved it! Very good and filling."
"loved this recipe! Great taste, and it does taste like saurbraten which my son loves, but its so consuming to make. Now I can make this in less time. Thanks to the poster who said they made it in a crockpot... thats how I plan on making this next time."