Bavarian Pot Roast Recipe
- 1 boneless beef chuck pot roast (about 3 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 3/4 cup beer or beef broth
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Cornstarch and water, optional
- Hot cooked noodles
- 1. In a Dutch oven, brown roast in hot oil. Combine water, beer or broth, tomato sauce, onion, sugar, vinegar, salt, cinnamon, bay leaf, pepper and ginger. Pour over meat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until meat is tender, for 2-1/2 to 3 hours.
Remove meat. Discard bay leaf. If desired, thicken juices with cornstarch and water. Serve with noodles.
Freeze option: Place sliced pot roast in freezer containers; top with cooking juices. If desired, place noodles in separate freezer containers. Cool and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Microwave, covered, on high in a microwave-safe dish until heated through, gently stirring and adding a little broth to pot roast if necessary. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 281 calories, 16 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 88 mg cholesterol, 633 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 27 g protein.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.