Bavarian Pot Roast
Since all of my grandparents were German, it's no wonder that so many Bavarian recipes have been handed down to me. Because the Midwest has such a large German population, I feel this recipe represents the area well.
8-10 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 2-1/2 hours
- 1 boneless beef chuck pot roast (about 3 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 3/4 cup beer or beef broth
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Cornstarch and water, optional
- In a Dutch oven, brown roast in hot oil. Combine water, beer or
- broth, tomato sauce, onion, sugar, vinegar, salt, cinnamon, bay
- leaf, pepper and ginger. Pour over meat and bring to a boil. Reduce
- heat; cover and simmer until meat is tender, for 2-1/2 to 3 hours.
- Remove meat. Discard bay leaf. If desired, thicken juices with
- cornstarch and water. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 281 calories, 16 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 88 mg cholesterol, 633 mg sodium,