Bavarian Pot Roast for 6 Recipe
- 1 beef top round roast (2 pounds)
- 1 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- 1. In a large skillet coated with cooking spray, brown roast on all sides. Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the juice, tomato sauce, onion, vinegar, ginger, salt and cinnamon; pour over roast. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into cooking juices until well combined.
- 4. Cover and cook 1 hour longer or until the meat is tender and gravy begins to thicken. Yield: 6 servings.
4 ounces cooked beef with 1/2 cup gravy equals 228 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 85 mg cholesterol, 531 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 35 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1/2 fruit.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.