Bavarian Pot Roast Recipe
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 beef chuck pot roast (about 5 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 cups apple juice
- 1 cup water
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 to 12 ounces fresh whole mushrooms
- In a large Dutch oven, heat oil over high and brown meat on all sides. Combine all remaining ingredients except mushrooms; pour over meat. Cover and reduce heat to simmer. Cook 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until meat is tender. Transfer met to platter; keep warm. Add mushrooms to cooking juices; simmer 5 minutes. With a slotted spoon, remove mushrooms and spoon over roast.
- Meanwhile, reduce cooking juices to desired thickness by cooking over high heat. Spoon a portion of the gravy over roast and pass the rest. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Bavarian Pot Roast(8)
Sort By :
I am German and have a large German family, but this tastes nothing like I remember. It was OK, but I won't be making it again.
This goes great with some Oktoberfest!
I make this pot roast with shredded beet salad and potato pancakes for my sister's birthday dinner. We love the favors of the tender meat.
!I give that a (-)5 Stars has not flavor, all you taste is cinnamon,cinnamon and meat not a good ,we did not like it at all.Mad
about how much money I spend for the meat.What a waste!
I use beer instead of apple juice, about a cup. And no mushrooms. This is one delicious pot roast.
More Recipe Collections
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Condiments >
- Dinner Recipes >
- German Dinner Recipes >
- German Recipes >
- Gravy Recipes >
- Mushroom Condiments >
- Mushroom Main Dish Recipes >