Bavarian Pork Loin
I got the recipe for this tender pork roast from an aunt, who made it all the time. What a delicious taste sensation with sauerkraut, carrots, onions and apples.Edie DeSpain, Logan, Utah
10 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Cook: 6 hours + standing
- 1 boneless pork loin roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1 can (14 ounces) Bavarian sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 1-3/4 cups chopped carrots
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 3 large tart apples, peeled and quartered
- Cut roast in half; place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl,
- combine the sauerkraut, carrots, onion, apple juice and parsley;
- spoon over roast. Cover and cook on low for 4 hours.
- Add apples to slow cooker. Cover and cook 2-3 hours longer or until
- meat is tender. Remove roast; let stand for 10 minutes before
- slicing. Serve with sauerkraut mixture. Yield: 10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 4 ounces cooked pork with 1/2 cup sauerkraut mixture equals 235 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 68 mg cholesterol, 294 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 27 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1 starch.
Wine: Medium-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer