Bavarian Meatballs Recipe
GINGERSNAPS and mushrooms give these tender meatballs a special old-world flavor. The recipe was handed down from my husband's family several years ago. I love to cook and found that this was an easy recipe to double and share with friends. The meatballs can also be frozen for a convenient meal at a later time. -Gusty Crum, Dover, Ohio
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 3/4 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/2 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, undrained
- 2 gingersnaps, coarsely crushed
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1. In a large skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. Transfer to a large bowl; add bread crumbs, milk, mustard, salt and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into six meatballs; place in a greased 1-qt. baking dish.
- 2. Preheat oven to 350°. In a small saucepan, combine mushrooms, gingersnap crumbs, water, brown sugar and bouillon. Cook and stir over low heat for 2-3 minutes or until thickened.
- 3. Pour over meatballs. Cover and bake 25 minutes or until meat is no longer pink. Yield: 2 servings.
1 serving (3 each) equals 364 calories, 17 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 82 mg cholesterol, 1,225 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 26 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC