Bavarian Meatball Stew Recipe
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14 ounces) Bavarian sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-in. balls. Place on a greased rack in a shallow baking pan. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes; drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine the remaining ingredients. Add meatballs. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaf before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Bavarian Meatball Stew
Sort By :
I cut the all-spice and nutmeg to 1/8 tea and used sauerkraut once and cabbage once. We liked the cabbage a little better but both were good. It was really a toss up!
Very good! My husband & I thought it was perfect for a chilly Fall evening!
This is simple and very good! One of my husbands favorites.
My husband and I did not like the meatball recipe. I calls for 3 TBS of parsley?! I only used 1 which was plenty. The all-spice and nutmeg give it an overwhelming flavor that is not good with the rest of the stew. However, the actual stew was very good. I liked the addition of sauerkraut and if we do make this again, we will use the soup base and our own meatballs! Maybe even some pieces of steak would be better!
My family loves this recipe! We have also used cabbage in place of the sauerkraut, wow is that awesome!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Beef Stew Recipes >
- Budget Ground Beef Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Stew Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- German Dinner Recipes >
- German Recipes >
- German Stew Recipes >
- Ground Beef Meatball Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >
- Meatball Recipes >