Bavarian Meatball Stew Recipe
"This thick, tangy soup has been one of our favorites ever since my daughter gave me the recipe years ago," says Janice Mitchell of Aurora, Colorado. "It's satisfying any time, but especially wonderful on a chilly evening."
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14 ounces) Bavarian sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-in. balls. Place on a greased rack in a shallow baking pan. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes; drain.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine the remaining ingredients. Add meatballs. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaf before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 279 calories, 12 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 83 mg cholesterol, 931 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 20 g protein.
Reviews for Bavarian Meatball Stew
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC