- 4 medium red potatoes
- 6 bacon strips, diced
- 6 bone-in pork loin chops (3/4 inch thick and 7 ounces each)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 jar (32 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 1 can (28 ounces) stewed tomatoes, drained
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until almost tender. Drain; when cool enough to handle, cut into 1/4-in. slices.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels. In the drippings, brown pork chops on both sides. Remove chops; drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. Saute onion in drippings until tender. Stir in sauerkraut and bacon; cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Spoon sauerkraut mixture into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Layer with pork chops, potato slices and tomatoes. Sprinkle with caraway seeds, salt and pepper. Cover and bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Bavarian Casserole in Country October/November 2005, p51
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Bavarian Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 16, 2013
"This recipe sounds good . I haven't tried it yet but will over the weekend . It would probably be really good with cheese on top also . We like our cheese ."