Bavarian Bratwurst Supper Recipe
- 4 bacon strips, diced
- 4 fresh bratwurst links, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 medium tart apple, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups frozen cubed hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1 can (14 ounces) Bavarian-style sauerkraut, drained
- 1. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels. In the drippings, cook and stir bratwurst for 10-12 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Remove with a slotted spoon. Drain, reserving 2 tablespoons of drippings. Saute apple and onion in drippings until lightly browned.
- 2. Stir in the vinegar, brown sugar, mustard, salt, pepper and bratwurst. Cover and cook for 12 minutes. Add potatoes and sauerkraut; cook and stir 12 minutes longer or until heated through. Sprinkle with bacon. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 453 calories, 25 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 1,590 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 17 g protein.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer