Bavarian Bratwurst Supper Recipe
- 4 bacon strips, diced
- 4 fresh bratwurst links, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 medium tart apple, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups frozen cubed hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1 can (14 ounces) Bavarian-style sauerkraut, drained
- 1. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels. In the drippings, cook and stir bratwurst for 10-12 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Remove with a slotted spoon. Drain, reserving 2 tablespoons of drippings. Saute apple and onion in drippings until lightly browned.
- 2. Stir in the vinegar, brown sugar, mustard, salt, pepper and bratwurst. Cover and cook for 12 minutes. Add potatoes and sauerkraut; cook and stir 12 minutes longer or until heated through. Sprinkle with bacon. Yield: 4 servings.
1 each: 453 calories, 25g fat (9g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 1590mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 5g fiber), 17g protein .
Reviews for Bavarian Bratwurst Supper
"I was hoping to have some leftovers of this dish, but my family enjoyed it so much it was gone at supper!I didn't find it dry because i used fresh diced potatoes that I sauteed in bacon fat until they were like hash browns. I also used chorizo instead of sausage, which added a lot of flavor."
"This was really good, but after mixing it all together it seemed pretty dry, so added more vinegar/sugar/mustard. Will definitely make again with those tweaks."
"Great flavor, I doubled the recipe and combined it all in a crock pot."
"It's just okay and on the dry side: my preference would be to increase the cider/mustard sauce, definitely add more bacon (!), use a sausage with more flavor than a brat, and decrease the potatoes and sauerkraut somewhat."