Bavarian Beef Roast Recipe
- 1 beef rump roast or bottom round roast (3 pounds)
- 1 garlic clove, cut into thin slivers
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup sherry or beef broth
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1. With a sharp knife, cut thin slits in meat; place a piece of garlic in each slit. In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, brown meat in oil on all sides; drain. Add the carrots, celery and onion. Combine the sherry or broth, parsley, sugar, caraway seeds, salt and cardamom; pour over meat.
- 2. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for about 2-3/4 hours or until meat is tender. Remove and slice meat. Skim fat from cooking liquid and serve vegetables with meat. Yield: 8 servings.
3 ounce-weight: 228 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 82mg cholesterol, 360mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 28g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Reviews for Bavarian Beef Roast
"Delicious! Great with mashed potatoes. Fancy enough for company, too. Used a bit more than 1 tsp oil.~ Theresa"
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.