Bavarian Beef Pie Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 2 egg yolks, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 to 3 teaspoons cold water
- 1 beef top sirloin steak (3/4 pound), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 small potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded peeled tart apple
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/8 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/8 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup plus 2 teaspoons water, divided
- 1. In a small bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in the shortening until crumbly. Stir in 1 egg yolk and vinegar. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide dough in half so that one portion is slightly larger than the other. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a small skillet, brown beef in oil. Remove with a slotted spoon; set aside. In the same skillet, saute the potato, onion and apple in butter for 2-3 minutes or until onion is tender. Stir in garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in flour until blended. Add the bouillon, seasonings, beef and 1/2 cup water. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 3. On a lightly floured surface, roll out larger portion of dough to fit a 7-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry even with edge. Fill with beef mixture. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry.
- 4. Beat remaining egg yolk and water; brush over pastry. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 3 servings.
1 piece equals 655 calories, 36 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 193 mg cholesterol, 677 mg sodium, 48 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 32 g protein.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.